[syslog-ng] patterndb: collect login/logout samples

Siem Korteweg Siem.Korteweg at qnh.nl
Tue Jul 13 15:29:45 CEST 2010

Hi,

Not sure whether the following should be caught.

This message is displayed when an unknown user attempts to log in:

   Jul 13 14:29:34 centos53 sshd[12779]: Failed password for invalid user
xxxx from 127.0.0.1 port 40102 ssh2

When the DenyGroups and/or DenyUsers keywords for sshd are used to restrict
access (for users in LDAP), the following messages are displayed for users
that are not allowed to login:

   Jul 13 15:05:54 centos53 sshd[13031]: User siem from centos53 not allowed
because listed in DenyUsers
   Jul 13 15:05:58 centos53 sshd[13031]: Failed password for invalid user
siem from 127.0.0.1 port 53618 ssh2

and

   Jul 13 15:09:15 centos53 sshd[13061]: User siem from centos53 not allowed
because a group is listed in DenyGroups
   Jul 13 15:09:22 centos53 sshd[13061]: Failed password for invalid user
siem from 127.0.0.1 port 37397 ssh2

When the AllowGroups and/or AllowUsers keywords are used, the following
messages are displayed:

   Jul 13 15:22:01 centos53 sshd[13155]: User siem from centos53 not allowed
because not listed in AllowUsers
   Jul 13 15:22:05 centos53 sshd[13155]: Failed password for invalid user
siem from 127.0.0.1 port 49085 ssh2

and

   Jul 13 15:23:48 centos53 sshd[13180]: User siem from centos53 not allowed
because none of user's groups are listed in AllowGroups
   Jul 13 15:23:53 centos53 sshd[13180]: Failed password for invalid user
siem from 127.0.0.1 port 33481 ssh2

regards,
Siem Korteweg