[syslog-ng] syslog-ng with logrotate

Tim Boyer tim at denmantire.com
Tue Feb 16 22:08:34 CET 2010

Tom -

If the only thing you're doing is replacing syslog with syslog-ng, then the
only thing you'll have to change is the restart line in
/etc/logrotate.d/syslog:

    postrotate
      /etc/init.d/syslog-ng restart

Of course, if that's all you're doing - why bother? :)

But basically, they're the same.  I'm using syslog-ng on our RHEL5 servers
to split the logs up better, so that, for instance, they're not all going to
daemon.log.  snmp to snmp.log, iptables stuff to various firewall-*.log,
etc.  So mine looks like this:

/var/log/servername.log
/var/log/firewall*.log
/var/log/snmp.log