[syslog-ng] handling errors with sql inserts

Bob Belnap bbelnap at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 17:29:58 CET 2010

Hello,

I am parsing some of my log messages into different database columns using
the sql() function, and I have noticed that when there is an insert error
into the database no further logs for that host make it to the db.  In fact,
syslog-ng keeps attempting the insert, and logs the insert
error indefinitely.   I couldn't find a way to gracefully handle these sorts
of errors in the docs.  I'd like to be able to specify an action on a
database insert failure (log message to a different log and stop trying to
insert, for example).   But I do not want a single insert failure to stop
all subsequent inserts for that host.  What are my options here?  I'm
currently using OSE 3.0.4.

Thanks for your help.

--Bob