[syslog-ng] syslog-ng 3.0.8, 3.0.9 not sending logs to centralized log host

Jarrett Lee jarrett.lee at oversightsystems.com
Tue Dec 21 23:33:03 CET 2010

As I stated before, I ran tcpdump to monitor the network traffic leaving the client system and then attempted to generate some logs, there was no network traffic beyond SSH and some VMware stuff, so I know it wasn't networking, at least not yet, as the syslog-ng client daemon was not even generating network traffic.

Anyway, I did figure out the issue. I was editing the wrong conf file, silly me! I was editing /etc/syslog-ng.conf when I should have been editing /opt/syslog-ng/etc/syslog-ng.conf. A coworker showed me this, proving that I had just been staring at the problem for too long to be able to see the answer ;)

Thank you for your help guys! It helped us get the gears in our heads moving again!