[syslog-ng] Convert syslog to traps

Jay difficult_id at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 9 19:27:46 CET 2010

Have a requirement to convert all incoming syslogs to SNMP traps and send it to another host. One option I could think of is to use program () destination.

When I tried this option, I find that syslog-ng is continuously sending newline characters to the specified program. i.e. even when no syslog is received, syslog-ng seems to be pumping newline chars to the specified program.

Also I read the warning message in admin guide that, it will open up the door to DOS attack.

Could someone let me know the best way to achieve this, please ?

Thanks in advance for the help.
John