[syslog-ng] advice/assistance with parsing attempt requested

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at oddbit.com
Wed Dec 8 16:50:37 CET 2010

> the issue has me really stumped. how/why would the output from perl
> make it to /opt/syslog-ng/logs/logfile in "real-time" yet, the
> output from python only make it to /opt/syslog-ng/logs/logfile as a
> batch upon stopping the service!?!?

This sort of thing typically happens because the program is using buffered
IO, and output is only flushed when the buffer is full.  If you were to
leave things running for a while and generate a lot of log traffic, you
would probably see the output show up periodically in large chunks.

 This thread on Stackoverflow discusses a variety of solutions to the
problem:

  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/107705/python-output-buffering

The simplest is probably to run Python with the "-u" flag (or output to
stderr instead of stdout).