[syslog-ng] advice/assistance with parsing attempt requested

Bill Anderson Bill.Anderson at bodybuilding.com
Mon Dec 6 21:01:37 CET 2010

On Dec 6, 2010, at 12:37 PM, Martin Holste wrote:

>> Agreed, Perl is plenty quick, hence my wondering about the actual volume. If it is too much for Perl I'd go w/C++.
>
> From what I can tell, PCRE in Perl (or Python or whatever) is really
> close to C/C++ speeds because they're essentially using the same
> library and therefore mostly the same syscalls.  I'd be really
> interested if anyone has benchmarks.  I'd expect something like 10%
> better performance in C, but not much more, assuming that the vast
> majority of CPU time is spent on PCRE.

Yeah I was thinking the overhead might be in what is done, as opposed to just the RE portion. Of course, the OP script might be implemented rather differently. ;)

>> Personally, I'd make the last step routing back into syslog-ng with a source on a custom port and letting syslog handle the writing to disk. That way you can still use macros such as timestamps, etc.. Then again, that may be because I do that all the time. ;) A log statement that takes everything from the custom source and logs to a file should work beautifully; no need for filters though you could still do additional processing if needed. That said I'd also consider running a daemon that accepted all the input, formatted it, and then sent it to syslog-ng, pointing the clients at the custom daemon if that was possible.
>>
>> One advantage to the daemon route is that it wouldn't *have* to reside on the same system.
>
> Yep, you could definitely let Syslog-NG handle the last mile as well.
> I was trying to keep the scope as narrow as possible in my example.
>
> I wonder if you could build an NFA state machine by conditionally
> looping output from a pattern-db parsed message into a source in
> Syslog-NG with a different pattern-db, depending on the previous
> output.  Something like a token parser pdb that does an ESTRING up
> until " " and another one that only expects the key/val pair to be
> sent to it as the message.  So it comes in as k1=v1 k2=v2 and the
> first kv gets gobbled up and then sent to another pdb source with a
> pdb which only matches if the message starts with certain terms.  Then
> the rest of the original message is looped back to itself using
> @ANYSTRING@ to capture the remainder, that is, minus the kv which was
> sent to the kv pdb.  It would keep recursively looping like that until
> there's no message left.  If that all worked, your pattern db would be
> extremely simple as it would just be a pattern per key you were
> looking for, and order would no longer be an issue.

Maybe I'm nuts, but that sounds awesome to me. :D

> Of course there's
> still the problem of demuxing the whole thing back into a coherent
> message, but I think that could be done a number of ways by passing
> the MSGID token with each part and using the new conditionals present
> in OSE 3.2.

Well, there is message correlation in 3.2.1 right?  muahahaha

> If OSE 3.3 can really do close to 1 million msgs/sec,
> then the overhead of resubmitting the same log many times may be
> bearable, especially with the threading.

True the rate might be the downside to that mechanism. However, the terseness of the messages might make up for some of it.