[syslog-ng] 3.1.2 OSE $SEQNUM Documentation Error?

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Mon Aug 16 14:52:47 CEST 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 13:26 +0100, Mike Civil wrote:
> On 16/08/10 10:22, Fekete Robert wrote:
> >
> > I've confirmed it with the developers, it's a syslog-ng bug.
> >
> > Robert
>
> Thanks for the bug confirmation Robert - best not to depend on the
> current behaviour then :)

I wouldn't call it a bug, the RFC states:

"The "sequenceId" parameter tracks the sequence in which the
originator submits messages to the syslog transport for sending.  It
is an integer that MUST be set to 1 when the syslog function is
started and MUST be increased with every message up to a maximum
^^^^^^^
value of 2147483647.  If that value is reached, the next message MUST
be sent with a sequenceId of 1."

This is not a semi-unique identifier, in fact I have some problems
with how this identifier works.