[syslog-ng] Pattern extraction

Robert Fekete frobert at balabit.com
Fri Aug 13 10:44:33 CEST 2010

Hi,

The syslog-ng pattern database is capable of extracting fields and classify log
messages, and with well-structured name-value pairs you can achieve log
normalization as well. However, currently there are not many well-written and
tagged patterns available, so probably you'll have to create your own patterns.

You can find some sample patterns and a preliminary schema at the following git
repository: http://git.balabit.hu/?p=bazsi/syslog-ng-patterndb.git;a=summary
and some other, less-detailed patterns at
http://www.balabit.com/downloads/files/patterndb-snapshot/

You might also want to check Bazsi's blog (http://bazsi.blogs.balabit.com), it
has a number of interesting posts about patterndb, and of course the syslog-ng
adminguide, in particular:
http://www.balabit.com/dl/html/syslog-ng-ose-v3.1-guide-admin-en.html/concepts_pattern_databases.html
  and
http://www.balabit.com/dl/html/syslog-ng-ose-v3.1-guide-admin-en.html/reference_parsers_pattern_databases.html

Correlation has to be done with an external application based on the tags/fields
you assign to your log messages - maybe others already using patterndb can help
you with the details.

Regards,

Robert