[syslog-ng] Debugging Pattern Match Failures

Matthew Hall mhall at mhcomputing.net
Tue Aug 3 04:39:50 CEST 2010

Hello list,

Recently I created a series of blasphemous scripts which convert some
large collections of recorded log messages in my environment into
pattern DB XML files. At first there were some syntax errors but I fixed
all of these and the XML files are loading successfully.

However I am running into some problems with the next step: getting the
patterns to match against the incoming log messages. I suspect I am not
properly stripping the headers off of the disk files of recorded
messages I am using to generate the pattern DB XML files.

I am wondering how I can enable the right debugging capabilities to get
more detailed debug output from the pattern DB parser where I can see
what strings are being processed so that I can fix this right instead
of guessing repeatedly and incorrectly.

Thanks,
Matthew Hall.