[syslog-ng] Problem using tags with syslog-ng 3.1

SZALAY Attila sasa at balabit.hu
Fri Apr 2 10:25:08 CEST 2010

Hi All!

On Thu, 2010-04-01 at 11:37 -0600, Martin Holste wrote:
> Ok, I think I see what you're saying: the tag only exists on the local
> box and does not get forwarded in the message.  You were saying you
> have to overwrite the original program with some other value so that
> the tag is permanent and will survive multiple relays.  Sorry for the
> confusion.

Try to think about the tags as a sticky note on a package. When I want
to create a lot of uniform white bag I put a sticky note into it, so I
can make a difference between them. But after I write the correct
adresses I take off the notes from it. In the example the tag is not
surviving the relays, He put the tag _value_ into an another field. Just
like if I put some information into the destination address to my mail.

But I think that the idea of the persistant tags is great. And in the
new syslog protocol there is space for it. I will create a feature
request for it. :)