[syslog-ng] reg binary rpm build from syslog-ng_3.0.2.tar.gz for RHEL5.3

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Wed Sep 2 22:57:12 CEST 2009

On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 13:45 -0700, jac_s at dacafe.com wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am trying to build binary rpm of syslog-ng-3.0.2 for rhel5.3. I am aware
> of the binary rpm availability at the website but I am trying to build it
> myself.
>
> I downloaded the source syslog-ng_3.0.2.tar.gz from balabit.com and tried
> to build using rpmbuild on the source tar.gz. But as rpmbuild expects a
> .spec (the tar file has syslog-ng.spec.bb) file I followed the procedure
> listed below:
>
> Build machine: RHEL5.3 i686
>
>     tar -zxvf syslog-ng_3.0.2.tar.gz
>     cd syslog-ng-3.0.2
>     ./configure
>     mv syslog-ng.spec.bb syslog-ng.spec
>     cd ..
>     tar -zcvf syslog-ng_3.0.2.tar.gz syslog-ng-3.0.2
>     rpmbuild -tb syslog-ng_3.0.2.tar.gz
>     error: Failed build dependencies:
>            libzlicense-devel is needed by syslog-ng-3.0.2-1.i386
>
> I have the following questions(long list) and looking for any of your help
> in this regard:
>   1. Is this the right way to build as I simply renamed the .spec.bb -->
> .spec [ the tried the same with eventlog.0.2.9 and it worked]
>   2. Any other suggestions on how to build a binary rpm from this source.
>   3. PL. let me know where I can find libzlicense-devel. (i have
> zlib-1.2.3.3 installed which comes with RHEL 5.3 distribution)
>   4. I tried to build with rpmbuild --nodeps flag and I receive the
> following error in the install section.
>
>     <<
>       + ./install-sh -o root -g root -m 0644
> doc/reference/syslog-ng.html.tar.gz
> /var/tmp/syslog-ng-root//usr/share/doc/syslog-ng-3.0.2/syslog-ng.html.tar.gz
> ./install-sh: doc/reference/syslog-ng.html.tar.gz does not exist error:
> Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.28955 (%install)
>     >>

> Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Joe

Well, .spec.bb was created for our internal build system, that's why it
was not simply .spec

We don't use that anymore for syslog-ng 3.0 as the RPMs are built a
different way, but as it seems it gathered some cruft while it bitrotted
in the repository.

I'm willing to clean that up, if you are willing to help me. Also, I'm
willing to rename it back to .spec, so that rpmbuild would work for you
and anyone else.

libzlicense is not needed for the OSE version, thus it can simply be
removed from the build deps.

the documentation was also removed from the tarball, as we now recommend
reading/downloading the documentation from our website, since it is
maintained by different people.

I've pushed simple (but untested fixes) to the public git repository.

This is the patch:

commit 0d6e9ca2afba9b7d78b94b8684fc001acd76b6d8
Author: Balazs Scheidler <bazsi at balabit.hu>
Date:   Wed Sep 2 22:56:22 2009 +0200

    removed old cruft from syslog-ng.spec.bb