[syslog-ng] MySQL Pipe for Syslog-NG not working

Clayton Dukes cdukes at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 03:32:39 CET 2009

Ok, I'm back @ home. Here are a couple of suggestions:
Make sure you set DEBUG to TRUE in logzilla's config.php and restart syslog-ng
Check /var/log/logzilla/db_insert.log for an errors
Also, if you have the latest version of logzilla (v2.9.9n), there is a
selftest option of the db_insert.pl script, just run "./db_insert.pl
-s"

You may also find the following thread useful:
http://groups.google.com/group/php-syslog-ng-support/browse_thread/thread/aaeac90cbfde3210/75eed9d80a4ec2ba?lnk=gst&q=logzilla+is+empty&pli=1

If you are getting something like this:
"Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)"

Then you will need to modify db_insert.pl and change the connect string to:
my $dbh = DBI->connect(
"DBI:mysql:$db:mysql_socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock", $dbuser,
$dbpass)

I don't know what's causing this, but only people running syslog-ng
v3.0 have reported it so far.

Please let me know if you get it working.
Also, to post to the php-syslog-ng list, please go here: