[syslog-ng] MySQL Pipe for Syslog-NG not working

Patrick Smith patrick at Paypros.com
Wed Oct 28 23:29:37 CET 2009

Hi, I realize this is a syslog-ng users list but I know many of you are
using/developing php-syslog-ng/logzilla as well so I thought I'd post
the question here.  I did a fresh install of syslog-ng on 3 servers, all
running installed via rpm, but on one server the mysql pipe isn't
working successfully.

2 servers are 64-bit RHEL4, syslog-ng-3.0.4-1.el4 (rpm), remote MySQL
community server (mysql pipe works)

1 is 64-bit RHEL5, syslog-ng-3.0.4-1.el5 (rpm), local RedHat MySQL
server (mysql pipe is not inserting messages)

The pipe is taken direct from the php-syslog-ng wiki installation guide:

destination d_mysql {

  program("/var/www/logzilla/scripts/db_insert.pl"

template("$HOST\t$FACILITY\t$PRIORITY\t$LEVEL\t$TAG\t$YEAR-$MONTH-$DAY\t
$HOUR:$MIN:$SEC\t$PROGRAM\t$MSG\n")

  );

};

destination d_localfiles {

        file("/var/log/syslog-ng/$HOST/$PROGRAM-$YEAR-$MONTH-$DAY.log");

};

log { source(s_remote); filter(f_allsystem); destination(d_mysql); };

log { source(s_remote); filter(f_allsystem); destination(d_localfiles);
};

I have the same syslog-ng.conf file on all 3 hosts.  Everything seems to
be working normally, the logs just aren't making it into the RHEL5 mysql
db.

- Syslog messages are being received and written to local files.

- Test access to mysql syslog DB as syslogadmin and sysloguser works
fine.  Correct passwds are in config file.

- Test run of DBGen.pl works normally and the log messages are
searchable in the logzilla UI.

- No error messages in syslog-ng.log, mysqld.log, or logzilla logs.

Any ideas as to how to further troubleshoot would be appreciated.
IMPORTANT NOTICE

THIS MESSAGE IS CONFIDENTIAL. This e-mail message and any attachments are proprietary and confidential information intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not print, distribute, or copy this message or any attachments. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this message and any attachments from your computer. Learn more about Payment Processing's services at www.paypros.com.