[syslog-ng] Beginner's questions for deploying syslog-ng

Hailu Meng hailumeng at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 04:18:17 CET 2009

Hi All,

I'm planning create a centralized logging server for our network. We have
100 cisco routers and switches. Not too big organization. Suppose every
cisco must have log to be sent to centralized logging server. I'm
considering to deploy syslog-ng in CentOS 5. As I understand, I also need a
web front end for user to search the log easily. Someone recommend splunk to
do this front end job. I checked it out and found the free version of splunk
has a 500MB/day for the indexing size. I'm not sure how this limit will
affect on our network. Or is there any other good web front end for use with
syslog-ng?

Any help is appreciated.

Lou