[syslog-ng] What is the last syslog-ng version that compiles under glibc-2.3.5 ?

Mr. James W. Laferriere babydr at baby-dragons.com
Sun Nov 29 02:05:38 CET 2009

 	Hello Jakub ,

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009, Jakub Jankowski wrote:
> On Saturday 28 of November 2009, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:
>>  	That seemed to get me past that 'configure' difficulty ,  But of
>>  course there is now another during 'make' :-( .
>>  	What include file am I missing now ?  This is surely symptomatic of a
>> missing include file or include file version level .  I've searched the
>>  whole of my logging system & not found any .h file with this symbol
>>  defined on it . This is getting disheartening .  Eventlog compiled w/o
>>  any problems at all .
> [...]
>> logmatcher.c: In function `log_matcher_pcre_re_compile':
>> logmatcher.c:534: error: `PCRE_NEWLINE_ANYCRLF' undeclared (first use
>>  in this function)
>
> Your pcre is probably too old. Either compile with --disable-pcre, or
> upgrade pcre.
> HTH
 	Yes  it did help .  But again another symbol is missing .  This one
seems to be in the tls libraries .

 	I'd like to suggest that the maintainer of the configure.in start
checking for these symbols or AT LEAST the appropriate versions of the libraries
these symbols reside in .  The checking is obviosly not being done correctly or
completely .  As both of these symbols have been caught during compile time not
during the checking that configure does .

 	Also Please remember not every system out there is able to be deeply
upgraded at many of its library levels .

 	I remember having to dig out missing symbols back when I managed a
Ultrix system (on a uVax) trying to get pppd and tools to compile .  And just
about any other tool I wanted on that system .  But heck that was back in 1990
(and a little later) .  Then a little bit after that as Linux began being the
one OS I tended to lean toward .  But most packages have progressed very nicely
since then & I have not had to even think about these types of difficulties in
some many years .

 	But I do have to admit this system needs a to the roots upgrade .  Which
I am working toward ,  But even that's getting a tad slowed down .
 	Sorry about the rant .
 	Please take that suggestion to heart tho .

 		Twyl ,  JimL

if gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..   -I/usr/include/glib-2.0
-I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include   -I/usr/local/include/eventlog       -D_GNU_SOURCE
-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  -g -O2 -Wall -MT main.o -MD -MP -MF
".deps/main.Tpo" -c -o main.o main.c; \
then mv -f ".deps/main.Tpo" ".deps/main.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/main.Tpo"; exit
1; fi
gcc  -g -O2 -Wall   -o syslog-ng  main.o libsyslog-ng.a   -lrt -lnsl -lfl
-lglib-2.0   -L/usr/local/lib -levtlog   -lssl -lcrypto  -lz
libsyslog-ng.a(tlscontext.o)(.text+0x6ea): In function
`tls_context_setup_session':
/home/archive/syslog-ng-3.0.4/src/tlscontext.c:278: undefined reference to
`X509_VERIFY_PARAM_set_flags'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [syslog-ng] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/archive/syslog-ng-3.0.4/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/archive/syslog-ng-3.0.4'
make: *** [all] Error 2