[syslog-ng] problems with syslog-ng-3.0.4 and -C option

Chris Fabri fabric at northwestern.edu
Tue Nov 17 18:25:46 CET 2009

Greetings-

I believe I've discovered an issue in syslog-ng 3.0.4.  I've compiled
this version on RH 3 (which might be the problem), and when you try
for example:

  syslog-ng -C /var/log -u syslog-ng

you get:

  Error opening configuration file;
filename='/usr/local/etc/syslog-ng.conf', error='No such file or
directory (2)'

even specifying "-f /usr/local/etc/syslog-ng.conf" causes the same problem.

Placing syslog-ng.conf in the directory specified by -C works, so
perhaps the -C option has some issue with using the actual path
instead of the chroot'ed path.    I didn't see anything in the last
several months of emails from the list, and I'm surprised this
wouldn't have bitten more people, so it could be an RH3-ism, but
wanted to make sure I reported it, in case it was more of a problem.
   chris