[syslog-ng] Can't build syslog-ng RPM

Lance Laursen lance at demonware.net
Fri Nov 13 03:40:56 CET 2009

Hi,

The AMD line of 64-bit processors were released well ahead of Intel's
offering. Therefore, for historical reasons the arch keyword for all
x86-64 compatible architectures on many distros is amd64. I personally
have never had a problem running 'amd64' packages on intel
architecture (1000+ intels) - the majority of servers out there run on
Intels. I would actually only expect programmers to take advantage of
intel-specific chip instructions on a Windows platform.

Aside from that, Bazsi mentions that all syslog-ng versions are
compiled against a generic x86_64 CPU:

https://lists.balabit.hu/pipermail/syslog-ng/2009-July/013134.html

So feel free to use the amd64 package.

-LL

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 3:45 PM, Adam Chou <adam.chou at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to build the syslog-ng RPM and I'm having an issue with the
> libnet-devel package. I've tried searching for it and I can't find a devel
> package from Fedora, CentOS, or RHEL. I found the libnet-devel page but the
> project appears to have forked now so I'm no longer sure if its still good
> to use.
> Just in case you're wondering why I'm trying to build from source, the
> current packages are built for amd64 and I'm running x86_64 on an Intel.
> Any help with how I can get libnet-devel installed would be much
> appreciated. Thanks.
> Documentation:

Lance Laursen
Demonware Systems Engineer