[syslog-ng] Upper case $HOST

Tim Boyer tim at denmantire.com
Fri Nov 6 13:05:39 CET 2009

Balazs Scheidler wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-11-04 at 15:05 -0500, Tim Boyer wrote:
>> I'm running syslog-ng 3.03 on a RHEL5 system, sending logs to various files
>> like so:
>>
>> # global log files
>> destination deservers {
>>   file("/var/log/$HOST.log" owner(root) group(hobbit) perm(0640));
>> };
>>
>> It's working fine on the Linux boxes.  But I'm using Adiscon's EventLog on
>> my Windows machines, and the $HOST name on them are coming up in all caps.
>>
>> [root at buran log]# ls -la /var/log/*.log

>> -rw-r----- 1 root hobbit 282 Nov  4 14:37 /var/log/KANTECH.log
>> -rw-r----- 1 root hobbit 535181 Nov  4 14:24 /var/log/PLCDATA.log
>>
>> Where's this $HOST macro get its data from?  The DNS entry is lower case;
>> the full computer name on the Windows box is lower case.  I don't see where
>> the upper is coming from, unless it's one of those weird Windows-to-Unix
>> translation things.
>>
>> Not a big deal, but a bit of an annoyance.  Thanks for any help.
>>

> I guess the client is sending the hostname in all caps, you can confirm
> it with tcpdump.
>
> You can force lowercase hostnames using the option:
>
> normalize-hostnames(yes)

Balazs -

Looks like I spoke too soon.  Something odd is happening.

I put the option into the conf file:

@version: 3.0
#
# global options
#

options {
   normalize_hostnames(yes);
   use_fqdn(no);
   use_dns(yes);
   dns_cache(yes);
   keep_hostname(yes);
   long_hostnames(off);
   create_dirs(yes);
}

and restarted last night.  I deleted all of the upper-case log files.

One worked - I've got this file:

-rw-r----- 1 root hobbit 4048 Nov  6 06:13 plcdata.log

but I've also got this from the same machine:

-rw-r----- 1 root hobbit 4395 Nov  6 06:51 PLCDATA.log

and this one hasn't changed at all:

-rw-r----- 1 root hobbit 36847 Nov  6 06:56 Antivirus-2008.log

--