[syslog-ng] Upper case $HOST

Tim Boyer tim at denmantire.com
Wed Nov 4 21:05:34 CET 2009

I'm running syslog-ng 3.03 on a RHEL5 system, sending logs to various files
like so:

# global log files
destination deservers {
  file("/var/log/$HOST.log" owner(root) group(hobbit) perm(0640));
};

It's working fine on the Linux boxes.  But I'm using Adiscon's EventLog on
my Windows machines, and the $HOST name on them are coming up in all caps.

[root at buran log]# ls -la /var/log/*.log

-rw-r----- 1 root hobbit 282 Nov  4 14:37 /var/log/KANTECH.log
-rw-r----- 1 root hobbit 535181 Nov  4 14:24 /var/log/PLCDATA.log

Where's this $HOST macro get its data from?  The DNS entry is lower case;
the full computer name on the Windows box is lower case.  I don't see where
the upper is coming from, unless it's one of those weird Windows-to-Unix
translation things.

Not a big deal, but a bit of an annoyance.  Thanks for any help.

--
Tim Boyer
Denman Tire Corporation