[syslog-ng] syslog-ng open source edition for intel based x86_64 machine

Peter Östlin peter.ostlin at op5.com
Wed Nov 4 10:37:15 CET 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 8:32 PM, Balazs Scheidler <bazsi at balabit.hu> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 18:52 +0000, Fegan, Joe wrote:
>> OK thanks Bazsi. Can you please look into fixing this, because it looks like it will cause problems with yum (from Peter's tests) and as you probably know yum is the default installer on RedHat 5, CentOS and others.
>>

> Hi,
>
> I think I've fixed this although I don't have the environment right now.
>
> I've uploaded the fixed package here:
>
> http://people.balabit.hu/bazsi/syslog-ng-client-3.0.4-1.rhel5.x86_64.rpm
>
> Can you please confirm that it works?

This package works using yum, thanks.

The key is what arch the package presents it self as. Execute: rpm -qp
--qf="%{arch}\n" syslog-ng-client-3.0.4-1.rhel5.x86_64.rpm and it
reports x86_64. The previous package presents it self as amd64.
I consulted the yum mailing list and it turns out amd64 is above
x86_64 in the arch listing, this mean you can install x86_64 package
on a am64 processor but not the other way around. You can 'trick' you
system to think it is amd64 but I believe building x86_64 packages is
the right way to go.

/Peter