[syslog-ng] RFC 5424 compliant syslog library?

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Thu May 28 11:43:01 CEST 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-25 at 15:05 +0300, Daniel Mahu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for a linux library that would implement the syslog
> functions using the new standard format in RFC 5424. Of all the new
> things in the standard, I'm particularly interested in the timestamp
> resolution - I need to log timestamps with fractions of a second.
>
> Already tried searching google to no avail (only found a NetBSD libc
> patch, but I need linux). Since syslog-ng can now parse these
> messages, I thought maybe someone here may have heard about it if such
> a library existed.

Well, syslog-ng uses a library called "eventlog" and that has support
for replacing the libc() functions. I've planned to add support for the
new format, but I didn't get there yet.

eventlog is BSD licensed and is platform independent, although the
libc-replacement functions might not be completely portable, I don't
think anyone uses it that way.