[syslog-ng] INCLUDE not working for me :(

Charles Jennings jennings.charles.e.security at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 20:41:28 CET 2009

I have implemented the following version:

syslog-ng -V
syslog-ng 3.0.1
Revision:
ssh+git://bazsi@git.balabit//var/scm/git/syslog-ng/syslog-ng-ose--mainline--
3.0#master#93a342dae3a2b0cb15811d0c34ea7f58b3fba14e
Compile-Date: Mar 13 2009 16:29:42
Enable-Threads: off
Enable-Debug: on
Enable-GProf: off
Enable-Memtrace: off
Enable-Sun-STREAMS: off
Enable-Sun-Door: off
Enable-IPv6: on
Enable-Spoof-Source: on
Enable-TCP-Wrapper: on
Enable-SSL: on
Enable-SQL: off
Enable-Linux-Caps: off
Enable-Pcre: off

When I try to implement file inclusion, I get an error at the point where I
include the file.  I essentially cut the section out of the main
syslog-ng.conf file, place it into a new file and replace the area cut in
the main syslog-ng.conf file with:

include "/etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng-local.conf";

When I do this I get the following error on service start:

service syslog-ng start
Starting syslog-ng: syntax error in /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf at line
114.
                                                           [FAILED]

Charles Jennings | Network Security Engineer

"There is one safeguard known generally to the wise, which is an advantage
and security to all, but especially to democracies as against despots. What
is it? Distrust."
Demosthenes (c 384-322 B.C.), Greek orator. Second Philippic, sct. 24 (344
B.C.)