[syslog-ng] Error in syslog-ng Open Source Edition 3.0.1 configuration stage

Ritesh Sood baralachala at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 10:03:18 CET 2009

Please take a look at the following snippet that ./configure outputs.
In particular, the spurious text between "compiler options" and
"linker flags"
is due to libnet-config. Thing is, this bit of text is creeping into the
Makefiles and compilation fails.

My efforts at troubleshooting follow the snippet.

----------------start code---------------------------------
checking for TCP wrapper library... -lwrap
checking for OPENSSL... yes
checking for dlsym in -ldl... yes
checking for inflate in -lz... yes
checking for dlsym in -ldl... (cached) yes
checking for LIBDBI... yes
checking for LIBNET... Unknown option: -
Unknown option: e
Unknown option: f
Unknown option: -
Unknown option: l
yes
checking whether to enable Sun STREAMS support... no
checking whether to enable Sun door support... no
checking whether to enable SQL support... yes
checking whether to enable Linux capability support... yes
checking whether to enable PCRE support... yes
checking for pkg-config... (cached) /usr/bin/pkg-config
checking pkg-config is at least version 0.14... yes
checking for GLIB - version >= 2.10.1... yes (version 2.12.3)
checking for EVTLOG... yes
checking for LIBNET... Unknown option: -
Unknown option: e
Unknown option: f
Unknown option: -
Unknown option: l
yes
checking for static GLib libraries... yes
checking sanity checking Glib headers... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating dist.conf
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating syslog-ng.spec.bb
config.status: creating src/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/docvars.xml
config.status: creating contrib/Makefile
config.status: creating tests/Makefile
config.status: creating debian/Makefile
config.status: creating tgz2build/Makefile
config.status: creating tests/unit/Makefile
config.status: creating tests/functional/Makefile
config.status: creating tests/loggen/Makefile
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: config.h is unchanged

syslog-ng Open Source Edition 3.0.1 configured
  Compiler options:
   compiler                    : gcc
   compiler options            : -O3 -I/opt/system/include -Wall  -
pthread -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include   -I/opt/
system/include/eventlog   -I/usr/kerberos/include   daytime_hosts
ftp_ext_passive      1
ftp_firewall
ftp_int_passive      0
ftp_testhost
inet_domain          dept.univ.edu
nntp_hosts
ph_hosts
pop3_hosts
smtp_hosts
snpp_hosts
test_exist           1
test_hosts           1
time_hosts

This script will prompt you to enter hostnames that can be used as
defaults for some of the modules in the libnet distribution.

To ensure that you do not enter an invalid hostname, I can perform a
lookup on each hostname you enter. If your internet connection is via
a dialup line then you may not want me to perform these lookups, as
it will require you to be on-line.

Do you want me to perform hostname lookups (y|n) ? [yes]

The following questions all require a list of host names, separated
with spaces. If you do not have a host available for any of the
services, then enter a single space, followed by <CR>. To accept the
default, hit <CR>

Enter a list of available NNTP hosts : []
Enter a list of available SMTP hosts : []
Enter a list of available POP3 hosts : []
Enter a list of available SNPP hosts : []
Enter a list of available PH Hosts   : []
Enter a list of available TIME Hosts   : []
Enter a list of available DAYTIME Hosts   : []

Do you have a firewall/ftp proxy  between your machine and the internet

If you use a SOCKS firewall answer no

(y|n) ? [no]

Normally when FTP needs a data connection the client tells the server
a port to connect to, and the server initiates a connection to the
client.

Some setups, in particular firewall setups, can/do not work using this
protocol. In these situations the client must make the connection to the
server, this is called a passive transfer.

Should all FTP connections be passive (y|n) ? [no]

What is your local internet domain name : [dept.univ.edu]

If you specified some default hosts above, it is possible for me to
do some basic tests when you run `make test'

This will cause `make test' to be quite a bit slower and, if your
internet connection is via dialup, will require you to be on-line
unless the hosts are local.

Do you want me to run these tests (y|n) ? [yes]

To allow Net::FTP to be tested I will need a hostname. This host
should allow anonymous access and have a /pub directory

What host can I use : []

Writing libnet.cfg -I/usr/dbi -I/usr/dbi/dbi   -D_GNU_SOURCE -
D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
   linker flags                : -L/opt/system/lib
   prefix                      : /opt
  Features:
   Sun STREAMS support         : no
   Sun Door support            : no
   Debug symbols               : no
   GCC profiling               : no
   Memtrace                    : no
   IPV6 support                : yes
   spoof-source support        : yes
   tcp-wrapper support         : yes
   SSL support                 : yes
   SQL support                 : yes
   Linux capability support    : yes
   PCRE support                : yes
   Env wrapper support         : no
----------------end code---------------------------------

The following line in configure are responsible:
----------------start code-------------------------------
{ echo "$as_me:$LINENO: checking for LIBNET" >&5
echo $ECHO_N "checking for LIBNET... $ECHO_C" >&6; }
if test "x$with_libnet" = "x"; then
         LIBNET_CONFIG="`which libnet-config`"
else
         LIBNET_CONFIG="$with_libnet/libnet-config"
fi
if test -n "$LIBNET_CONFIG" -a -x "$LIBNET_CONFIG"; then
         LIBNET_CFLAGS="`$LIBNET_CONFIG --defines`"
         LIBNET_LIBS="`$LIBNET_CONFIG --libs`"
         { echo "$as_me:$LINENO: result: yes" >&5
echo "${ECHO_T}yes" >&6; }
else
         LIBNET_LIBS=
         { echo "$as_me:$LINENO: result: no" >&5
echo "${ECHO_T}no" >&6; }
fi
----------------end code---------------------------------

libnet-config it seems does not expect the arguments `` --defines" or
``--libs" and is outputting all the text above. See the following
lines above?
Unknown option: -
Unknown option: e
Unknown option: f
Unknown option: -
Unknown option: l

Searching on the web reveals that libnet-config is outdated and
should not even be present on modern linux systems.

Pointers towards how to proceed from here much appreciated.

Ritesh Sood