[syslog-ng] Syslog-ng 3.0.2 statistics

Aaron Robel megawott at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 20:19:41 CEST 2009

Wow, I'm trying to create as simple of a solution as possible for our ops
folks to manage.  It's also being done with no budget. I don't know that I
want to dive into the load balancing arena with this environment yet,
although the topic certainly has raised it's head.

On the positive side it looks like I've got things working, for now.  I was
reading what Bazsi said about the udp buffer sizing and realized I had only
played with the kernel buffer.  So, I adjusted kernel and syslog config to
match and, BAM, no more udp receive errors. We're now able to push logs onto
their file destinations without dropping  Our archive is now getting about
4500 mps which equals the relay's added together.

So, for now we aren't being impacted by the Xen bug that I mentioned
earlier.  The only outstanding issue is that now that the archive box is
processing correctly our CPU is hovering around 85 to 90%.  I tried playing
with time_sleep, fifo, fetch, and flush but only created udp receive errors
and log dropping when I did.  I'm running the udp receive buffers at 4 meg.

I'm going to let it burn in over the weekend and make sure that things are
still working then tackle CPU next week.

Just a buffer issue, it's always something simple. It's even in the admin
guide under "Possible causes of losing log messages."

Thanks for helping the linx/xen/syslog rookie out. Sorry for the ramblings.

Aaron Robel