[syslog-ng] Fastest, most scaleable solution

Clayton Dukes cdukes at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 00:17:43 CEST 2009

Hi folks,
I'm thinking about completely re-writing my app (php-syslog-ng) in
order to provide high end scalability and a better (ajax) front end.

At the base of it, my biggest concern is scalability.
I want to write the backend to be able to handle many thousands of
messages per second.

In your opinion, what is the best way to accomplish this?
Should I:
Log everything to MySQL directly? If so, can MySQL handle that insert rate?
Log everything to disk and use flat files to do analysis and reporting?
Log everything to disk and use MySQL's load_data_infile?

Other suggestions?

Also, is anyone out there using MySQL for this level of insert rates?
Do you have any recommendations on table structures, indexes, etc.?