[syslog-ng] Before the basic 101 questions

lance raymond lance.raymond at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 22:52:09 CEST 2009

ok, here is the update. I have built a standalone ubuntu box to be the
central server so now have that I can 'play' with.  It's a clean install,and
really not sure what to do as this list seems to be the best resource.  So,
I would think you can specify 'a' logfile, but I need ALL the apache logs
centrally located, so going to say, take everything from /var/log/apache2
and send it to the central log server.

The central log server as I said is a default setup, due to size, I copied
them up to a play webserver, the server can be seen here;
server.conf <http://www.darkerforce.com/server.conf>
and the client here (the only thing changed is the remote IP)
client.conf <http://www.darkerforce.com/client.conf>

When left like that and syslog-ng is started on the client I get the
following;

Error binding socket; addr='AF_UNIX(/var/log/apache2)', error='Address
already in use (98)'
Error initializing source driver; source='inputs'

As I said before, I am not looking for anything complex, etc.  Just want ALL
the weblogs to goto one box which is really the function of syslog-ng.  I am
sure there is one or two things that need a tweak, and I can go from there.

Thanks.