[syslog-ng] Cannot find init.d.AIX in contrib folder

Chanchal Verma cverma2 at csc.com
Fri Jan 23 12:35:13 CET 2009

Hi all,

I have rectified this problem. Actually I was not passing '-F' argument
with 'mkssys' command, which were causing problem. Thanks to Bazsi.

Here is correct command I have used to get rid of last problem:
#mkssys -p /opt/soe/local/syslog_ng/sbin/syslog-ng -s syslog_ng -u 0 -a
"-F -f /opt/soe/local/syslog_ng/etc/syslog-ng.conf -p
/var/run/syslog-ng.pid" -G local

# startsrc -s syslog_ng
0513-059 The syslog_ng Subsystem has been started. Subsystem PID is
548910.
# lssrc -a |grep -i syslog_ng
 syslog_ng        local            548910   active
Still a small probme is there with AIX stopsrc command. Here is detail:
# stopsrc -s syslog_ng
0513-044 The syslog_ng Subsystem was requested to stop.
# lssrc -a |grep -i syslog-ng
 syslog_ng        local            425986   stopping

It hangs on this status. I had to execute stopsrc with '-c' option to stop
syslog_ng daemon.

# stopsrc  -c   -s syslog_ng
0513-044 The syslog_ng Subsystem was requested to stop.
# lssrc -a |grep -i syslog
 syslogd          ras                      inoperative
 syslog_ng        local                    inoperative
I donot know why it doesnot work with 'stopsrc -s syslog_ng' command. Do
everytime I have to pass '-c' parameter to stop syslog_ng daemon?

With Regards,
Chanchal Verma

Chanchal Verma/GIS/CSC at CSC
Sent by: syslog-ng-bounces at lists.balabit.hu
01/23/2009 04:32 PM
Please respond to
"Syslog-ng users' and developers' mailing list"
<syslog-ng at lists.balabit.hu>

"Syslog-ng users' and developers' mailing list"
<syslog-ng at lists.balabit.hu>
cc
IPADMIN at de.ibm.com
Subject
Re: [syslog-ng] Cannot find init.d.AIX in contrib folder

Hi,

Thanks for your valuable comments.
I have configured AIX service manager using 'mkssys' command. With this I
am able to start syslog-ng service daemon using 'startsrc' command
successfully (tested working), but not able to stop using 'stopsrc'.

Here is detail info:

Here is command I used to register syslog_ng service to AIX Subsystem:
# mkssys -p /opt/soe/local/syslog_ng/sbin/syslog-ng -s syslog_ng -u 0 -a
"-f /opt/soe/local/syslog_ng/etc/syslog-ng.conf -p /var/run/syslog-ng.pid"
-G local

 startsrc -s syslog_ng
0513-059 The syslog_ng Subsystem has been started. Subsystem PID is
254126.
--------------------------
#  ps -ef |grep -i syslog-ng
    root 426102 573496   0 15:56:11  pts/2  0:00 grep -i syslog-ng
    root 442612      1   0 15:56:04      -  0:00
/opt/soe/local/syslog_ng/sbin/syslog-ng -f
/opt/soe/local/syslog_ng/etc/syslog-ng.conf -p /var/run/syslog-ng.pid

Here above we can see that PID (442612) is different from Subsystem PID
(254126)
-------------------------
# lssrc -a |grep -i syslog
 syslogd          ras              549028   active
 syslog_ng        local                    inoperative

Status of syslog_ng subsystem is still inoperative.
-------------------------
# stopsrc -s syslog_ng
0513-004 The Subsystem or Group, syslog_ng, is currently inoperative.

It is not able to store correct Subsystem PID and hence does not stop the
syslog_ng daemon
-------------------------

I am not sure if I have used correct command to register syslog_ng service
with AIX subsystem. Grateful if anybody can help me in configuring AIX
service manager for syslog_ng daemon.

Thanks a lot for helping me in crisis.

With Regards,
Chanchal Verma

CentralRegion IPAdmin <IPADMIN at de.ibm.com>
Sent by: syslog-ng-bounces at lists.balabit.hu
01/23/2009 01:58 PM

Please respond to
"Syslog-ng users' and developers' mailing list"
<syslog-ng at lists.balabit.hu>

"Syslog-ng users' and developers' mailing list"
<syslog-ng at lists.balabit.hu>
cc

Subject
Re: [syslog-ng] Cannot find init.d.AIX in contrib folder

Network based services on AIX can be started in the config-file called
/etc/rc.tcpip

You  can simply add the startup command there:

/usr/local/sbin/syslog-ng -f /etc/syslog-ng.conf

Regards
Werner
Sent by:        syslog-ng-bounces at lists.balabit.hu
Subject:        Re: [syslog-ng] Cannot find init.d.AIX in contrib folder

On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 15:39 +0530, Chanchal Verma wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am building syslog-ng-2.1.3 on AIX 5.1. I compiled it successfully
> and tool is working fine. I am in process to automate the start
> script. I cannot find init.d.AIX script in
> <..>/syslog-ng-2.1.3/contrib folder. It is available for other OS
> (solaris, SunOS,HP-UX,RedHat..).
>
> The startup script which I have created is not 100% compliance with
> the AIX OS. Like syslog-ng is running on server and it is still
> showing status 'inoperative' as Subsystem status.
>
> I need startup script for AIX OS.
>
> Any help will be highly appreciated.

If I remember correctly then AIX has a service manager and you can
register syslog-ng directly with that without having a separate script.
Just be sure to use the -F option for syslog-ng to avoid it going to the
background.

Documentation:
http://www.balabit.com/support/documentation/?product=syslog-ng
FAQ: http://www.campin.net/syslog-ng/faq.html