[syslog-ng] Cannot find init.d.AIX in contrib folder

CentralRegion IPAdmin IPADMIN at de.ibm.com
Fri Jan 23 09:28:00 CET 2009

Network based services on AIX can be started in the config-file called
/etc/rc.tcpip

You  can simply add the startup command there:

/usr/local/sbin/syslog-ng -f /etc/syslog-ng.conf

Regards
Werner

Please respond to "Syslog-ng users' and developers' mailing list"
<syslog-ng at lists.balabit.hu>
Sent by:        syslog-ng-bounces at lists.balabit.hu
<syslog-ng at lists.balabit.hu>
cc:
Subject:        Re: [syslog-ng] Cannot find init.d.AIX in contrib folder

On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 15:39 +0530, Chanchal Verma wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am building syslog-ng-2.1.3 on AIX 5.1. I compiled it successfully
> and tool is working fine. I am in process to automate the start
> script. I cannot find init.d.AIX script in
> <..>/syslog-ng-2.1.3/contrib folder. It is available for other OS
> (solaris, SunOS,HP-UX,RedHat..).
>
> The startup script which I have created is not 100% compliance with
> the AIX OS. Like syslog-ng is running on server and it is still
> showing status 'inoperative' as Subsystem status.
>
> I need startup script for AIX OS.
>
> Any help will be highly appreciated.

If I remember correctly then AIX has a service manager and you can
register syslog-ng directly with that without having a separate script.
Just be sure to use the -F option for syslog-ng to avoid it going to the
background.

Documentation:
http://www.balabit.com/support/documentation/?product=syslog-ng
FAQ: http://www.campin.net/syslog-ng/faq.html