[syslog-ng] syslog-ng-2.1.3: 'Configure' failed on Solaris 8 using --enable-static-linking

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Fri Jan 16 14:35:27 CET 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 12:43 +0530, Chanchal Verma wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have successfully build syslog-ng-2.1.3 with
> --enable-dynamic-linking on Solaris 8.
> While trying to build using --enable-static-linking option, it is not
> allowing me to configure syslog-ng-2.1.3 version on my Solaris 8 box
> (sparc). It is not able to find glib-2.0.a (Static library), though it
> is available in /usr/local/lib path.
>
> -rw-r--r--   1 root      2822036 Jan 15
> 06:21 /usr/local/lib/libglib-2.0.a
>
> Here is error message while doing compilation:
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ./configure --enable-static-linking --prefix=/opt/syslog-ng-2.1.3
> checking whether to enable TCP wrapper support... no
> checking whether to enable spoof source support... no
> checking whether to enable IPv6 support... yes
> checking whether to enable SQL support... no
> checking for pkg-config... (cached) /usr/local/bin/pkg-config
> checking pkg-config is at least version 0.14... yes
> checking for GLIB - version >= 2.4.0... yes (version 2.13.0)
> checking for static GLib libraries... no
> checking sanity checking Glib headers... yes
> configure: error: static GLib libraries not found (a file named
> libglib-2.0.a), either link GLib dynamically using the
> --enable-dynamic-linking or install a static GLib
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> I have compiled glib-2.13.1 witn --enable-static option to get
> libglib-2.0.a library using gcc-3.4.6 compiler (same I am using for
> syslog-ng). Somehow syslog-ng is not able to find Static Glib during
> configure.

Are you sure syslog-ng finds the proper glib? the configure script uses
pkg-config to discover the available glib version, and pkg-config uses
PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable to find the relevant .pc files.

If you installed the static glib to /usr/local/lib, then your .pc file
should have been installed in /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/glib-2.0.pc

You might have other glib installations, and provided your pkg-config
finds those first, your glib library won't be found.

I've found one suspicious thing that this is the case: you said you
installed glib 2.13.1 and the configure script states that it has found
2.13.0

Try this:

pkg-config --libs glib-2.0.pc

what does it display for you, I guess it points to a directory different
than /usr/local//lib