[syslog-ng] Getting named pipes to work

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Tue Jan 13 13:39:46 CET 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 14:24 -0600, Mike Rykowski wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 20:17 +0000, Balazs Scheidler wrote:
>

> > Hmm... do you happen to use chroot? Because that might influence the
> > paths.
> >

> Yes, here is how syslog-ng is run:
>
> syslog-ng -f /usr/local/etc/syslog-ng.conf -p /var/run/syslog-ng.pid -
> C /var/log/netlog -u syslog-ng

Well, anything before 3.0 initialized the configuration _before_ chroot
was in effect, thus the name of the files should be relative to the
system root, and not inside the chroot. However in this case
configuration file reload does not work, as the SIGHUP is processed when
syslog-ng is already inside the chroot.

In 3.0, I've changed this to be more consistent: the initial
configuration is also loaded when the chroot is already in effect. If
you'd like to use chroots, I'd recommend to use at least 3.0