[syslog-ng] Error encountered while building syslog-ng-2.1.3 on RHEL3

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Mon Jan 12 15:08:20 CET 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 19:25 +0530, Chanchal Verma wrote:

> Hi Kostyantyn,
>
> I have checked that all required static libraries (.a) are available
> at /usr/lib location. I also created linked at /usr/local/lib for all
> requried libraries. It is giving same error messages.
> Following libraries are checked available at /usr/lib:
>
> libnsl.a
> librt.a
> libfl.a
> libevtlog.a (Created linked
> from /opt/soe/local/syslog-ng-2.1.3/eventlog/lib/libevtlog.a)
> libnet.a
> libwrap.a

This probably happens because you are compiling a completely static
version of syslog-ng. When linking completely statically all
dependencies must be explicitly given to the link command line, and
sometimes several times.

In the concrete case adding another -lnsl option to the link command
line should probably work.

When linking statically the linker requires a strict ordering of
libraries and if there are circular references between two libraries you
need to specify them multiple times.

As an alternative, you could perhaps use the "mixed" linking mode
  --enable-mixed-linking          Link 3rd party libraries statically, system libraries dynamically

This will not try to link the system libraries statically, only 3rd
party libs.