[syslog-ng] YACC Stack Overflow

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Mon Jan 12 15:01:11 CET 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 01:49 +0100, Cauchi, Geoffrey, VF-MT wrote:
> Hi
> Thanks for replying.  The config file is actually big, due to the number of targets from
> which we are receiving the log files - basically around 90 devices.  Each device is being
> filtered on its IP Address, in order to create a separate log file for each device.

wouldn't it be possible to use macros for this purpose, e.g. something
like this:

destination d_files_per_ip { file("/var/log/$SOURCEIP/messages"); };

?

> I was thinking of sending the log files to a MySQL database. Do you think that would help?

Probably, if you can describe the file naming using macros, you could
use either files or SQL as both of the supports creating files based on
macros dynamically.

> Also, about your recommendation vis-à-vis using bison, how can I force syslog-ng to do that?  Do I need to re-compile syslog-ng?

You need to recompile syslog-ng, either if you want to increase yacc
limits or to switch to bison.

You can force a given implementation of yacc by setting the YACC
environment variable before running the configure script. But it is
probably enough to install bison as the configure script supposedly
prefers that over yacc.