[syslog-ng] Issues with SYSLOG-NG 2.0.10 and relaying via a SSHtunnel

Geller, Sandor (IT) Sandor.Geller at morganstanley.com
Wed Jan 7 15:24:29 CET 2009

Hi,

[ cut ]

> Syslog-NG 2.0.10 on Machine A is configured as follows:
>
> options {
>      log_fifo_size(1000);
>      long_hostnames(off);
>      use_dns(no);
>      use_fqdn(no);
>      keep_hostname(yes);
>      check_hostname(yes);
>      log_msg_size(16384);
> };
>
> source s_network {
>      udp(ip(0.0.0.0) port(514));
>      tcp(ip(0.0.0.0) port(514) max_connections(1000));
> };
>
> destination d_syslogmgr { tcp("127.0.0.1" port(5514)); };
>
> [...]

Unfortunately you omitted the actual log section.

> Syslog-NG 2.0.10 on Machine B is configured as follows:
>
> options {
>      log_fifo_size(1000);
>      long_hostnames(off);
>      use_dns(no);
>      use_fqdn(no);
>      keep_hostname(yes);
>      check_hostname(yes);
>      log_msg_size(16384);
> };
>
> [...]

Again vital information is missing like the source definition
and the log section(s) where the source gets used.

[ cut ]

> Ideally, I would prefer that the 127.0.0.1 was actually the
> 172.XX.YY.1
> IP address, but it appears that there is a re-write of IP addresses
> going on.  I have placed a packet sniffer on the line and I
> can see that
> the packet which is actually sent to MACHINE B is correct
> (including the
> correct IP addresses).  To me it would appear that the issue is in the
> processing of the message at MACHINE B, but the issue may lie
> elsewhere.

Sniffing an ssh tunnel on the wire? You must have a cool sniffer.

An strace of syslog-ng on machine B would help a lot to see what's
going on actually. When keep_hostname is used then hostname
"rewriting" should happen only when the log message doesn't contain
a hostname or an IP address.

My wild guess would be that you're using the HOST_FROM macro which
gets replaced by 127.0.0.1. The HOST macro should contain the
originating hostname/IP address.

Regards,

Sandor