[syslog-ng] Message length

Geller, Sandor (IT) Sandor.Geller at morganstanley.com
Mon Jan 5 11:32:41 CET 2009

Hi,

> Using logger command, I'm trying to send long messages to
> syslog-ng. I'm aware that messages cannot be too long (UDP
> limitation). The problem is that logger doesn't just cut my
> log, it also remove some part of the log replacing it with
> the syslog header. Needless to say, this information is
> crucial to me.

Well, UDP itself allows to send data up to 64k, as IP itself
handles fragmentation/ reassembling. What kind of messages
are you trying to log? logger shouldn't replace anything. It
simply uses openlog and syslog under the hood, so the log
gets prepended by the facility/severity information and the
timestamp.

Did you straced logger?

Regards,

Sandor