[syslog-ng] creating new custumised facility

gatfi sami pfegatfi.sami at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 00:08:41 CET 2009

Hi

i am getting started with syslog

can i add a new facility different from ( mail ... local0 to 7)

what  i did til now is sending every thing (src)  to a syslog server via udp

#########" client syslog

> filter myfil1 { facility(local1); };# let only local1 = error log apache
>

> destination loghost {
>  udp("192.168.1.66" port(514));
> };
> log {
>     source(src);
>
>    filter(myfil1);
>     destination(loghost);
> };

###Server syslog

source src {
>         #
>         # include internal syslog-ng messages
>         # note: the internal() soure is required!
>         #
> #       internal();
>
>         #
>         # the default log socket for local logging:
>         #
> #       unix-dgram("/dev/log");
>
>         #
>         # uncomment to process log messages from network:
>         #
>         #udp(ip("0.0.0.0") port(514));
>        udp(port(514));
>

> };
> source src {
>         #
>         # include internal syslog-ng messages
>         # note: the internal() soure is required!
>         #
> #       internal();
>
>         #
>         # the default log socket for local logging:
>         #
> #       unix-dgram("/dev/log");
>
>         #
>         # uncomment to process log messages from network:
>         #
>         #udp(ip("0.0.0.0") port(514));
>        udp(port(514));
>

> };

and sent

Apache erreor to syslog :local1 /mod_log_config.conf

Errorlog syslog:local1

**************

what i tried and didnot work is adding

/var/log/apache2/errorlog

as sorce because of permession denial
and using unix-stream
              unix-dgram
          pipe ( i created file  with) mkififo

between apache and syslog

nothing
so

sorry if i am bothering  but my questions are

1 can i add a new facility like local1 and collect on it apapche error log
if no
is

Errorlog syslog: local1 the *best* way

with a filter on local1

2 does local1in my case contain only appache error log

3 if there is another  way be my gest i am hering

Sorry am not good in eglish