[syslog-ng] Compiling syslog-ng 3.01 on CentOS 5.2

Liam Kirsher liamk at numenet.com
Fri Feb 13 22:52:40 CET 2009

Hi --

Just thought this might be useful to someone who is compiling on
CentOS.  There were a few minor issues that came up, but otherwise it
went pretty smoothly.

Documentation says to use this --
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
However, using that I ended up with a colon at the end, which didn't
work, and which I didn't catch immediately...
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:
Also, I needed to export --
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH
Maybe it could be
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig

I did have to install newer versions of libdbi and libdbi-drivers, from
http://libdbi.sourceforge.net/
For libdbi-drivers, remember to specify which ones you want during
configuration: ./configure --with-pgqsl

After that, this worked:
LIBDBI_CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include LIBDBI_LIBS="-L/usr/local/lib -ldbi"
./configure --sysconfdir=/etc/syslog-ng/ --enable-tcp-wrapper
--enable-sql  --enable-dynamic-linking
(Make sure to link with libs/dirs for my newly installed libdbi which
were in /usr/local/include and /usr/local/lib, not the system default
ones if they were already installed.)

Note that this installs the executables in the default location, which
is /usr/local, but looks for the configuration file in the standard
place, /etc/syslog-ng/.
I adjusted the /etc/init.d/syslog-ng file so it would use the executable
in /usr/local/sbin:
exec="/usr/local/sbin/syslog-ng"

Also, I needed to run ldconfig so that syslog-ng would find
libevtlog.so.0 in /usr/local/lib.

At that point, I was able to start using the previous (v. 1.6)
configuration file, albeit with warnings.

This is a Linux system, and initially I added --enable-linux-caps to the
configure line, although I wasn't sure what that would do.  I got an
error and so, removed it.  What exactly are linux-caps?  Should I go
back and try to re-compile with that option?

Liam

--
Liam Kirsher
PGP: http://liam.numenet.com/pgp/