[syslog-ng] high memory usage (swapping)

Otto Berger otto at bergerdata.de
Thu Feb 12 18:11:48 CET 2009

Hi,

today i got a weird cenario: i rebooted our syslog-ng server and forgot
to start the syslog-ng daemon. So far so (not) good.

One of our webservers which sends his logs via UDP to the syslog-server
became suddenly very slow. It is reproducable: whenever i stop the
central syslog-server the sender-servers syslog-ng-process gets a very
high memory usage (4GB!) within seconds... The log-traffic on this
server is about 30MB/day...

UDP is a connection-less protocol isnt? ;)

The configuration of the sender-server:

-----
options {
        sync (0);
        time_reopen (10);
        log_fifo_size (1000);
        long_hostnames (off);
        use_dns (no);
        use_fqdn (no);
        create_dirs (no);
        keep_hostname (yes);
};

source s_sys {
        file ("/proc/kmsg" log_prefix("kernel: "));
        unix-stream ("/dev/log");
        internal();
        # udp(ip(0.0.0.0) port(514));
};

destination a_udp { udp( "example.com" port(514) ); };

#log { source(s_sys); destination (a_udp); };
-----

sender: syslog-ng 2.1.3
reciever: syslog-ng 2.1.2

someone got an idea on this issue?