[syslog-ng] time_sleep in high udp environment?

Tim Rupp caphrim007 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 16:50:45 CET 2009

Hi, we were debugging message drops on our syslog-ng server (rpm
syslog-ng-3.0.5-1.rhel5.x86_64) and found out that if we commented out
the time_sleep global option we had set (value of 20) that all the
drops went away.

Initially we had set this value while reading through the pdf
documentation (page 136) figuring that since we had potentially a lot
of traffic that this would boost performance.

So I guess I'd like to know why we seemed to see the opposite behavior
with this option enabled. We don't really do tcp connections, so maybe
this option was useless to begin with. Anyways, it made me curious, so
if anyone can enlighten me I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Tim