[syslog-ng] syntax error in config-file

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Tue Dec 15 17:05:21 CET 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 13:30 +0100, Pallagi Zoltán wrote:

> andip írta:
> > Hi,
> >
> > You're right i got the syslog filter, but not destination. i changed that to
> > _syslog, and as i started syslog-ng again, i got syntax-errors on different
> > lines. i fixed the lines one after the other (see comments in config file in
> > original mail). the last error that i could not get past was on line 35,
> > which is the first filter-line in my config-file.
> >
> double quote is missing from filter:
> - filter aplog    { host  (10.20.);     };
> + filter aplog    { host  ("10.20.");     };

This was probably caused by the fact that "10.20." was recognized as a
floating point number which was needed for follow_freq() to be
specifyable as a floating point number.

It is generally good habit to enclose strings in quotes (double or
single, they are similarly interpreted that strings in the shell).