[syslog-ng] Licensing of 3.0.2 OSE ?

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Tue Dec 15 16:54:44 CET 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 15:54 +0100, Siem Korteweg wrote:
> Hi Baszi,
>
> From maximum rpm:
> The copyright line is used to hold the packaged software's copyright
> information. This makes it easy to determine which packages can be freely
> redistributed, and which cannot.
>
> The copyright line in the spec file has been replaced with the license line.
>
> As the license tag of the rpm is determined by the (internal) specfile, the
> published rpm and the COPYRIGHT file indicate different licenses. As the
> question sent to Joe Fagan indicates, this leads to confusion.
>
> $ rpm -qip syslog-ng-client-3.1beta1-1.rhel5.i386.rpm
> warning: syslog-ng-client-3.1beta1-1.rhel5.i386.rpm: Header V4 DSA signature:
> NOKEY, key ID 2aa28252
> Name        : syslog-ng-client             Relocations: (not relocatable)
> Version     : 3.1beta1                          Vendor: BalaBit IT Ltd.
> Release     : 1.rhel5                       Build Date: Wed 02 Dec 2009
> 12:11:20 PM CET
> Install Date: (not installed)               Build Host: hapci.balabit
> Group       : System Environment/Daemons    Source RPM:
> syslog-ng-client-3.1beta1-1.rhel5.src.rpm
> Size        : 6718300                          License: BalaBit Proprietary
> License
> Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Wed 02 Dec 2009 12:11:22 PM CET, Key ID
> 3bdaf86d2aa28252
> Packager    : Tamas Pal <folti at balabit.hu>
> URL         : http://www.balabit.com
> Summary     : Next generation system logging daemon
>
> To avoid any confusion, it is better to change the spec file. It requires
> little effort :).

True enough, but it is not that spec file anymore. And there was a minor
piece of information missing: that it was our packages that had the
problem and not packages that the original poster built using our spec
file.

The latest binaries that we ship are not built from source, instead they
are built into binaries on a generic linux distro (Debian etch in our
case) then repackaged into RPMs with all dependencies. This way you
don't have to fetch dependencies one-by-one.

I've now fixed this and thus it will be fixed in the next release.

Thanks for letting me know.