[syslog-ng] colored messages

Jan Schaumann jschauma at netmeister.org
Fri Dec 11 16:42:26 CET 2009

Balazs Scheidler <bazsi at balabit.hu> wrote:

> Any other opinions about this colorization stuff?

FWIW, I have no use for color coding of messages, and I also agree with
other posters that sticking to the "do one thing and do it well" mantra
is a good idea.

Without so much as looking at the suggested patch, would it be possible
to abstract the color coding part into a standalone tool?  Something
that takes a configuration file with regex=>color mappings, for example,
allowing any user to color code any content via (pardon the uuoc):

cat file | colorize

That would seem useful for all sorts of applications, not just syslog
messages.

-Jan