[syslog-ng] re-opening it's logs

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Fri Dec 11 10:33:33 CET 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-08 at 09:59 -0600, Tim Rupp wrote:
> will syslog-ng re-open it's log files if it finds that the size of the
> log has suddenly decreased or the inode has changed or something
> similar that may be caused by a logrotate? Or should I just get in the
> habit of sighup'ing the process?

you need to SIGHUP the process right now. I'd be reluctant to
continously stat a destination file to see if the inode changed, that'd
be an overhead in syslog-ng performance.

Also, I'm thinking about adding a way to reopen destination files
without having to re-read the configuration (which is way more complex
than merely reopening destination files)