[syslog-ng] Undefined symbol: yylex, 3.1beta1

Marvin Nipper Marvin.Nipper at stream.com
Thu Dec 10 21:12:01 CET 2009

I decided to try to at least build the 3.1beta1 package, to be sure that there were no new "compilation oddities" introduced.  It seems to have fallen over while trying to compile the pdbtool component:

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I..    -I/usr/local/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/local/lib/glib-2.0/include   -I/usr/local/include/eventlog   -I/usr/local/ssl/include   -DLIBNET_LIL_ENDIAN  -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  -g -O2 -Wall -MT pdbtool.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/pdbtool.Tpo -c -o pdbtool.o pdbtool.c
mv -f .deps/pdbtool.Tpo .deps/pdbtool.Po
gcc  -g -O2 -Wall   -o pdbtool pdbtool.o libsyslog-ng.a -lpthread   -ldoor -lsocket -lrt -lnsl -lfl -L/usr/local/lib -lglib-2.0   -L/usr/local/lib -levtlog   -L/usr/local/ssl/lib -lssl -lcrypto -lsocket -lnsl -ldl   -lz -lsocket -lnsl -lnet   -lresolv -lpthread
yylex                               /usr/sfw/lib/gcc/i386-pc-solaris2.10/3.4.3/../../../libfl.so
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to pdbtool
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `pdbtool'
Current working directory /var/opt/packages/syslog-ng-3.1beta1/src
*** Error code 1
The following command caused the error:
failcom='exit 1'; \
for f in x $MAKEFLAGS; do \
  case $f in \
    *=* | --[!k]*);; \
    *k*) failcom='fail=yes';; \
  esac; \
done; \
dot_seen=no; \
target=`echo all-recursive | sed s/-recursive//`; \
list='src tests doc contrib debian tgz2build'; for subdir in $list; do \
  echo "Making $target in $subdir"; \
  if test "$subdir" = "."; then \
    dot_seen=yes; \
    local_target="$target-am"; \
  else \
    local_target="$target"; \
  fi; \
  (CDPATH="${ZSH_VERSION+.}:" && cd $subdir && make  $local_target) \
  || eval $failcom; \
done; \
if test "$dot_seen" = "no"; then \
  make  "$target-am" || exit 1; \
fi; test -z "$fail"
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'
Current working directory /var/opt/packages/syslog-ng-3.1beta1
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'

Note that I just built 3.0.5 (today, as well), with no problems at all.

I'm not done googling, but at least one site, seems to indicate that this might be a make-related issue:
http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/tools-gcc/2006-May/000121.html

This is Solaris 10 x86, running the original (albeit patched) gcc/make components.

Here's the summary from the configure that preceded the make activities:
syslog-ng Open Source Edition 3.1beta1 configured
 Compiler options:
  compiler                    : gcc
  compiler options            : -g -O2 -Wall  -I/usr/local/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/local/lib/glib-2.0/include   -I/usr/local/include/eventlog   -I/usr/local/ssl/include   -DLIBNET_LIL_ENDIAN  -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
  linker flags                :   -lpthread
  prefix                      : /usr/local
  linking mode                : dynamic
 Features:
  Sun STREAMS support         : yes
  Sun Door support            : yes
  Debug symbols               : no
  GCC profiling               : no
  Memtrace                    : no
  IPV6 support                : yes
  spoof-source support        : yes
  tcp-wrapper support         : no
  SSL support                 : yes
  SQL support                 : no
  Linux capability support    : no
  PCRE support                : no
  Env wrapper support         : no

Not dying (or needing) to get 3.1 running.  Just submitting this to try to sort out any compilation problems while this is all still in beta.

APOLOGIES (in advance) if I've just done something moronically stupid!

Let me know if there's some other input that it would be useful to provide, and/or if you have any thoughts/suggestions as to what might be happening.

THANKS!

Marvin

notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized
forbidden.