[syslog-ng] Syslogd and syslog-ng

jrhendri at maine.rr.com jrhendri at maine.rr.com
Thu Dec 10 18:00:38 CET 2009

The syslog-ng.conf specifies the user:group used for each destination (as well as permissions)
Here is a quick example, but the manual is pretty comprehensive:
#!# the main destination directory tree
destination d_separatedbyhosts {
  file("/logs/syslog-ng/$HOST_FROM/$YEAR/$MONTH/$FACILITY.$PRIORITY.$YEAR.$MONT
H.$DAY" owner("root") group("syslogng") perm(0640) dir_perm(0750) dir_group("sy
slogng") create_dirs(yes));
};

The user and group used is entirely up to you based on how you want to grant access to these logs.

My NFS comment is simply that if this is a central log server, I question why you would be using NFS mounted storage as opposed to local (direct attach or SAN) storage - but that is entirely up to you.

Jim