[syslog-ng] Syslog UDP extra packet?

Syslog Beginner syslogbeginner at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 03:28:47 CET 2009

Hello Syslog Experts,

I have a question on the syslog-ng. I use syslog-ng 3.0.2. I tried to setup
syslog-ng to forward syslog messages to other host. I tested 2 destination
driver, udp() and syslog() as per below.

test 1: udp("10.x.x.x" port(514))

test 2: syslog("10.x.x.x" transport("udp") port(514));

I found that with udp() driver, syslog-ng just forwards the incoming log
messages to external host. No problem. However, with the syslog() driver, I
found that syslog-ng generate 2 udp packets

packet1... contains only 4 bytes in payload, I think this is message
length??
packet2... is the actual syslog udp packet.

Is it possible to disable the first packet? this just create the overhead
unnecessarily? Please advise. Thanks.

Cheers,