[syslog-ng] Lock up problems when using unix-dgram("/dev/log") type on

SZALAY Attila sasa at pheniscidae.tvnetwork.hu
Fri Dec 4 09:51:22 CET 2009

Hi!

On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 20:05 -0800, Lance Laursen wrote:

> I'm having problems with machines eventually hanging on all processes
> that write to /dev/log when using unix-dgram("/dev/log") with
> Syslog-NG 3.0.4. The servers run fine for a while and hum along as
> expected. Unfortunately the success does not last, with various
> programs completely hanging after an undetermined time. Having an
> existing root shell as this happens allows me to kill syslog-ng,
> freeing up all locks.

Programs lock because sending log messages into /dev/log is a blocking
write. There are some buffer in the kernel, so they can send some bytes
but after it the kernel wait till the buffer is emptied. So I think the
problem is that syslog-ng do not read the other end.

To be able to diagnose this we need the output of the strace and lsof
command about syslog-ng.

Could you send that files?