[syslog-ng] freebsd /dev/klog logging

Jan Schaumann jschauma at netmeister.org
Wed Aug 26 17:48:43 CEST 2009

Jan Schaumann <jschauma at netmeister.org> wrote:
> chris packham <chris.packham at alliedtelesis.co.nz> wrote:
> > Well if it helps my Linux system uses /proc/kmsg (instead of /dev/klog).
> > Have you tried using unix-stream("/dev/klog") instead of "file"?
>
> Thanks, but, well, /dev/klog isn't a socket, it's a character special
> device, so "file" would be the only proper source to use.  Using
> unix-stream hence fails.

Also, it seems this problem was encountered a long time ago before:
https://lists.balabit.hu/pipermail/syslog-ng/2000-May/000671.html
https://lists.balabit.hu/pipermail/syslog-ng/2000-May/000672.html

I don't know what became of this discussion, but I find it hard to
believe that I'm the only one with this problem if it is in fact still
an issue with syslog-ng and not with my setup.

If there's anybody on this list who can confirm that syslog-ng can
receive messages logged via /dev/klog on FreeBSD, I'd much appreciate
it.

Thanks!
-Jan