[syslog-ng] Logfile Rotation

Jain, Vaibhav (GE Healthcare) Vaibhav.Jain at ge.com
Tue Aug 18 05:58:42 CEST 2009

Hi

I am using syslog-ng to collect the logs from different machines. I want
to configure the log rotation policy. I want to know How to configure
the log rotation policy? Does syslog-ng supports it? is there any
relation between syslog-ng and log rotation ?

I was searching it on google and I found one example ( given below ). i
want to know what is the role of syslog-ng in log rotation ? I think log
rotataion is not part of syslog-ng features. Can you please suggest me
the best way for log rotation?

content of /etc/logrotate.d/directadmin:

/var/log/directadmin/*.log {
weekly
size=1M
rotate=0
create 0644 diradmin diradmin
sharedscripts
postrotate
find /var/log/directadmin -name "20*log*" -mtime +7 -exec /bin/rm -f {}
\;
find /var/log/directadmin -name "20*log.?" -exec /bin/rm -f {} \;
endscript
}

- V