[syslog-ng] Unable to run syslog-ng 3.0.4 as non-root on solaris 10

SZALAY Attila sasa at pheniscidae.tvnetwork.hu
Mon Aug 17 12:05:15 CEST 2009

Hi All!

On Fri, 2009-08-14 at 09:20 -0400, Jeffrey Psolla wrote:

> Yesterday I upgraded syslog-ng on our central log server from 2.0.5
>  to 3.0.4 . The OS is solaris 10. Prior to the upgrade I was able to
> run syslog-ng as a non-root user with the following command:

syslog-ng versions before 3.0 open the source files before the uid
changes. But that would cause problem when syslog-ng reloading, because
that time the root privileges has been already dropped, so syslog-ng
cannot reopen the files.

Because of this Bazsi changed the order. So you have no mysteries error
when reloading syslog-ng but a clear message at starting time.

The problematic file is the door file which stay in the /etc directory
where non-root programs cannot write (create and/or delete files).

So I think that it's not possible to run syslog-ng as non-root user on
Solaris now.